Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The journey was our destination...

As if it couldn't get better, today was filled to the brim with memories to last a life time.  I couldn't help but reminisce on my first visit to South Dakota when I was just 5 or 6 years old back in the early '70's.

My recollections are a mix of glimpses of old photographs and disconnected memories, but the spirit of what they represent are the most moving.  Imagining my dad driving our family across the county in if memory serves me correctly, a gold colored Chevy Impala, stopping to search for old turquoise blue glass insulators, off of what back then could only marginally be referred to as a highway.  Stopping at gift shops (still my favorite thing) to buy those little black cowboy boots that I've kept to this day.

I wonder how the four of us kids survived in the back seat of the car, towing our beloved Yellowstone trailer behind us.

First stop - the Corn Palace which was just minutes from our hotel.  It seems like such a tacky piece of Americana at first glance, but watch the 15 minute informational video and you'll be waving a flag and selling war bonds.  I swear it was so moving to learn how site, little more than a big building covered in corn husks, saved a town and continues to support the locals and new and established artists.

We had a great time shopping as you'll see in some of the pictures.  Rest assured we will not be returning to Illinois with the baseball cap Tom's sporting here.








We were lucky enough to see teams of workers changing last year's designs into a tribute to the upcoming London Olympics.  Very cool!

The next thing to happens classifies as extraordinarily weird.   Believe it or not we ran into a family from Geneva whose children attend Heartland.  They left for South Dakota a day before we did and just by weird happenstance we found ourselves in the same place at the same time.  Although the mom knew me, I didn't remember her as someone who helped me out with a PTO project back in December.

After recapping a few details it all came back to me and we were instant friends again.  Whew!

Just bizarre!

Back in the car, we headed for the famed Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota.

We've been so lucky with stumbling across great places to eat that it pains me to tell you that Al's Oasis is not all is' cracked up to be.  Or maybe it is.  It was clearly an over priced tourist trap for those who don't know better.  Including for one brief hour this afternoon, us.  C'est  la vie!

We did get a great picture of Reese next to a plaster buffalo so the side trip wasn't a complete loss.


So, let's discuss the South Dakota terrain....more corn, lots of wheat (so much so I couldn't get the lyrics from "Oklahoma" out of my head all day "The waving wheat, can sure smell sweet...") and cows.  We spent the day preparing to spy a buffalo (pronounced in our family "BOOF-FA-LOW") or prairie dog, but nope, just cows.  Black cows, black and white cows, tan cows, white cows, rainbow cows....

We were also expecting more trees.  I know it's the prairie, but it is seriously barren of foliage.

We were reward though with beautiful vistas, glimpses of spectacular valley's, and and more cows.






We arrived at Wall Drug in short order and the shopping extravaganza began!  We didn't end up buying much but it was a bit overwhelming.  Sort of like rummaging through the racks at TJ MAX to find the one perfect blouse.

Reese and I had fun out in back running through sprinklers (though Doris pointed out afterwards that there was a "No running" sign clearly posted.  Oh well!)  We also had fun with all of the props, taking cheesy pictures all over the place.





Onward to Rapid City we drove, arriving at our destination just after 6 p.m.  Did I mention that half of the state of South Dakota is on Central time and the other half is Mountain?  Well, it's true!  The time changed slightly before we got to Wall, so lucky us we got a whole hour more of vacation today.  Of course they will make us give it back when we leave but we will continue to have fun with it until we leave.

Dinner was an old favorite, Texas Roadhouse.  I know it's not that original, but after eating Al's we just wanted a good meal.  We missed you Aunt Donna!

While at Wall our goal was to outfit Reese in western garb from her head to her toes.  We found the perfect boys and shirt but alas nothing was in her size so we left empty handed.  I know what you're thinking, but the western look is coming back to the Midwest, just you wait and see.

At any rate after dinner we continued our pursuit and found a great cowgirl hat and shirt!  I'll post pictures tomorrow.  And of course since we were at a mall we did what anyone would do and did a little school clothes shopping.  Only 6% sales tax!

Tomorrow we are headed to Mt. Rushmore.  I can't wait!  Later in the afternoon we'll board the 1880 steam train for a two hour round trip tour between Keystone and Hill City.  It should be beautiful!

Tell you all about it tomorrow!

p.s. I added yesterday's pictures on yesterday's post.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG- man blogspot sure does make it difficult to get access to the reply button on these blogs! But, I was persistant- and mostly because I want to encourage you to give me the scoop on what you've been up to since Tuesday! Why leave us hanging so? Anywho, it sounds like you are having an awesome adventure! Wish I could be with you!! My favorite highlights: your comment about pernouncing the silent "s" on the end of various words of native American origion (you totally busted Irena out on that one, BTW- since she happened to be reading your blog out loud to the rest of us! ;) Also of interest was the fact that Reese forgot all that she learned about Native American tribes (I took comfort in that, not as a teacher, but more as a person who forgets a lot of stuff,) and the whole Corn Palace expereince cracked me up! We need to talk about that later. Also, it was not lost on me the order in which you chose to arrange your prairie photos. Prairie, more prairie, your family standing on the priarie, Reese looking down the road and what does she see?! More prairie. Niiiiiice! Can't wait to see the pic where you are are the REAL Mt Rushmore! More soon???

    ReplyDelete